Saturday, April 18, 2009

you are my satellite

my mexican ex-mistress who got pregnant several months after we broke up four years ago, is moving in with her baby daddy on Monday. She doesn't know him that well.

The last time I saw her was, what, a year ago. I picked her up at a Mexican coffeehouse we used to go five years ago when we were in love. We would get cafe de canela or atole. Cafe de canela is Mexican coffee made with cinnamon, and atole is a hot drink made from corn flour.

We talk on the phone in passing once in a while. She always asks how I am, and tells me "Everything gonna be fine. It will work out." It strikes me as odd and poignant because I feel like I should be telling her that.

She texted me today for the first time in over a year.

pase las noches mas maravillosas contigo te ame y te llevo en mi corazon por siempre de mariposa


It translates as "I've spent many wonderful nights with you, my love, and you go forever in my heart like a butterfly." It sounds a little lame in English but in Spanish it's very touching.

She's never said anything like that to me before. I think she must be resigning herself to settling with this guy.



I wrote back,

El amor de tu ha sido como tomar cafe de canela caliente:

Me tomó por sorpresa al principio, pero me ha mantenido caliente durante mucho tiempo.


"Loving you has been like swallowing hot cafe de canela:

It took me by surprise at first, but has kept me warm for a long time."



No comments: